Communities Leading in Tourism
As rural Scotland’s local economies look to rebuild in the face of a global pandemic, we now more than ever need a place-based community-led approach to recovery. This programme provides an opportunity for communities to engage and shape the future of local tourism and to share the value and benefits.
What is it?
Communities Leading in Tourism is a personal development programme which will give you, and your community organisation, the knowledge and leadership skills you’ll need to influence, plan and manage sustainable tourism recovery for the benefit of your community.
With four successful cohorts with organisations from across Scotland under our belts, the fifth is starting at the end of January 2022. The programme is part of the Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme, and brings the community and tourism sector together to maximise local tourism opportunities. It is delivered by the Social Enterprise Academy on behalf of the Scottish Government, HIE, South of Scotland Enterprise, Scottish Enterprise and Skills Development Scotland.
Who is this course for?
If you are working or volunteering with community organisations and/or social enterprises with an interest in tourism, this programme could be for you. As places are limited, places are competitive and we’ll be looking for aspiring future leaders from across rural Scotland who can demonstrate:
- how taking part will help you deliver long term local benefit; and
- that you can commit to the full programme.
Why choose this programme?
- Develop your personal leadership skills and insight into the potential opportunities tourism offers your community.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the complexities of the tourism sector.
- Hear inspiring stories of communities, in the UK and internationally, who have taken a lead in tourism to build economic resilience.
- Create a strategic vision and plan for leading the sustainable development of tourism in Scotland, to support recovery post Covid-19.
- Participate in a global community of practice sharing experience, insights and inspiration around community led tourism.
What is involved?
This programme consists of facilitated Zoom calls, self-directed learning through an online learning platform and guest speaker webinars.
It's a 12 day programme, and while we've had COVID-19 restrictions, it has been delivered entirely online over a three month period. Participants are led by tourism specialists, and are taking part in three x 2-day facilitated ‘Virtual Residentials’, six evening webinars and approximately 4-6 hours per module of self-directed learning outside the live sessions. Topics being explored include: practical implications and solutions in relation to the tourism sector COVID-19 recovery; seeing what others are doing from a range of business, social enterprise and community case studies. There is also access to a wide range of online learning resources.
The fifth cohort is set to start with a two day virtual residential on 21/22 January 2022. Applications are open now.