Communities Leading in Tourism
As rural Scotland’s local economies look to rebuild in the face of a global pandemic, we now more than ever need a place-based community-led approach to recovery. This programme provides an opportunity for communities to engage and shape the future of local tourism and to share the value and benefits.
What is it?
Communities Leading in Tourism is a personal development programme which will give you, and your community organisation, the knowledge and leadership skills you’ll need to influence, plan and manage sustainable tourism recovery for the benefit of your community.
With three successful cohorts from across the Highlands and Islands and South of Scotland under our belts, we’re expanding the network Scotland wide. The programme is part of the Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme, and brings the community and tourism sector together to maximise local tourism opportunities. It is delivered by the Social Enterprise Academy on behalf of the Scottish Government, HIE, South of Scotland Enterprise, Scottish Enterprise and Skills Development Scotland.
Applications for our fourth cohort of up to 30 people from across Scotland is now open. It starts in the last week of September - see below for the course outline.
Who is this for?
If you are working or volunteering with community organisations and/or social enterprises with an interest in tourism, this programme could be for you. As places are limited, places are competitive and we’ll be looking for aspiring future leaders from across rural Scotland who can demonstrate:
- how taking part will help you deliver long term local benefit; and
- that you can commit to the full programme.
Why choose this programme?
- Develop your personal leadership skills and insight into the potential opportunities tourism offers your community.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the complexities of the tourism sector.
- Hear inspiring stories of communities, in the UK and internationally, who have taken a lead in tourism to build economic resilience.
- Create a strategic vision and plan for leading the sustainable development of tourism in Scotland, to support recovery post Covid-19.
- Participate in a global community of practice sharing experience, insights and inspiration around community led tourism.
What is involved?
This programme consists of facilitated Zoom calls, self-directed learning through an online learning platform and guest speaker webinars.
It's a 12 day programme, delivered entirely online over a three month period. You're led by tourism specialists, and you'll take part in three x 2-day facilitated ‘Virtual Residentials’, six evening webinars and approximately 4-6 hours per module of self-directed learning outside the live sessions. Live sessions scheduled over full days will benefit from regular, long breaks. You'll explore topical issues including: practical implications and solutions in relation to the tourism sector COVID-19 recovery; seeing what others are doing from a range of business, social enterprise and community case studies. You also have access to a wide range of online learning resources.
The programme will start in the last week of September. Applications will close on 29 August 2021. The cost of the course is fully funded by the Scottish Government.