The Highlands and Islands is served by a first rate education system
The growth and development of the universities, education and skills sector in the our region is critical to the long term success of the regional economy.
What we do
Our objectives for the universities, education and skills sector are to:
- Increase the number of students studying in our region with a focus on retention and attracting young talent into the Highlands and Islands, to address our demographic imbalance;
- Work with partner agencies to develop a skilled workforce in our region ready to respond to the needs of our key industries;
- Oversee the implementation of the HIE-led talent attraction strategy, working closely with the Convention of the Highlands and Islands;
- Support the development of location specific Campuses in the region;
- Deliver a regional wide Science Skills Academy;
- Support the development and growth of the University of the Highlands and Islands – focusing on knowledge exchange, research and entrepreneurial activity;
- Optimise university engagement with businesses and communities to create a stronger culture of innovation and commercialisation;
- Increase the number of universities that have either a location or deliver projects/activities in the region.