Gameplay: Random Events, It’s not Always About a Pie in the Face
Moray Game Jam
Saturday, March 19, 2016 from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM (GMT) Elgin, United Kingdom
Sign up here: http://is.gd/U4OsPG
Masterclass led by Alan Emrich, from Victory Point Games, and Lecturer at The Art Institute of California: Orange County.
There is more to Random Events than Hitting the Player with a Pie-in-the-Face
Game designers like to stir the pot as their players play. And why not? Life isn't completely predictable, so why should game be? In this lecture we will examine:
* Why have Random Events in a game?
* The Law of Gaming Rationalization
* The Human Paradox
* Self-Correction and Exacerbating Random Events
* Means Testing for Play Balance
* Method, Frequency, and Severity
* Player Controlled vs. Pie-in-the-Face Random Events
In the meantime, know this: Witam regit fortuna non sapientia
(Chance, not wisdom, governs human lives)
Find out more about Victory Point Games, go to http://www.victorypointgames.com/about-victory-point-games/
Please note all young people who are 12 or under should be accompanied by an adult.